County

Onondaga County Sheriff confirms police are looking into changing body cam protocol at Town Hall

Dominic Chiappone | Asst. News Editor

Several members of the audience criticized deputy John Rosello for not turning on his body camera and dash camera, an action that Onondaga County Sheriff Tobias Shelley previously confirmed following the Sept. 6 shooting in which Rosello shot and killed two teenagers in DeWitt.

Onondaga County Sheriff Tobias Shelley addressed questions from county residents Tuesday night regarding the body camera policy of county police and other concerns. It was Shelley’s first town hall since being elected in November 2022.

Shelley, along with Onondaga County Chief Police Deputy Matthew Fischer, confirmed that Onondaga County police are looking into changing the existing policies for body cameras after a deputy shot and killed two teenagers on Sept. 6. Following Shelley’s town hall, incumbent Onondaga County Comptroller Martin Masterpole and former county legislator Casey Jordan also debated on their candidacy for county comptroller.

“It’s far from an exact science or a model standardized to follow, but we have been in discussions,” Fischer said of body camera footage. “We’re in agreement that we think that probably the easiest way to standardize when to turn them on is just when you’re dispatched to a call.”

Deputy John Rosello killed 17-year-old Dhal Apet and 15-year-old Lueth Mo in DeWitt as the vehicle they were in attempted to escape the deputy. Shelley said on Sept. 6 that he believed the vehicle was moving at a speed fast enough to kill the deputy. Audience members were not permitted to ask questions regarding the shooting, said John Meyer, one of the town hall’s organizers, at the beginning of the event.

The shooting remains part of an ongoing investigation by the New York State Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigation. The office investigates all deaths caused by police officers.

Several members of the audience criticized the deputy for not turning on his body camera and dash camera, an action that Shelley previously confirmed following the shooting. Shelley also issued a statement after the shooting in support of Rosello on Sept. 12.

Yvonne Griffin, a resident of Syracuse’s Westside neighborhood, said the deputy should have activated the cameras once he recognized that the incident became official business.

“As soon as it became a car chase, it was official police business. When he opened that door, he should put on that camera,” Griffin said. “That could have been my son in that damn car.”

Members of the Syracuse Police Department who fall under Onondaga County jurisdiction activate a body camera “upon engaging in a law enforcement-related activity that occurs while the member is on duty,” according to county police policy. Exceptions include instances where it is “not safe and practical,” the policy states.

On Sept. 21, the sheriff’s office proposed a multi-year, $15 million contract that would include upgrades to body cameras and tasers if approved.

Amelia Bittel, a volunteer for Citizen Action of New York who lives near SU’s campus, said county law enforcement still needs to provide further clarity on when police will turn on their body cams.

“They didn’t truly answer what the policy was or what it’s going to be. He talked more about what the technology is, and how they’re going to link it together, which sounds wonderful. But we still need to know what the policy is going to be as far as how it’s used,” Bittel told The Daily Orange after the town hall.

Shelley also doubled down on his support for keeping the Jamesville Correctional Facility open during the town hall. Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon supports a proposal already approved by the county legislature that would merge the facility with the downtown jail. Shelley said the potential merger would create issues with capacity and staffing.

“I took an oath to the public safety of the people in this county, and I can’t keep the people of the county safe if I don’t have a place to put those people,” Shelley said.

After the town hall closed, Masterpole and Jordan discussed their platforms for comptroller.
The comptroller manages financial transactions for the county and advises various government departments and agencies.

incumbent Onondaga County Comptroller Martin Masterpole and former county legislator Casey Jordan debated on their candidacy for county comptroller.

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

Masterpole was elected as comptroller in 2019 and became the first Democrat to be elected comptroller in the history of Onondaga County. His Republican challenger, Jordan, previously served as chairman of the Onondaga County legislature’s ways and means committee.

Masterpole emphasized his work in both the private and public sectors and said he hopes his experience and track record prove his capability to continue working as comptroller for a second term.

“It does not matter what party or position anyone’s associated with,” Masterpole said. “I believe I’ve proven that in four years.”

Jordan touted his decades-long experience working for multiple business law firms and representing Clay in the Onondaga County Legislature for 15 years, and promised to maximize government spending efficiently.

“I spent more than 43 years studying and reviewing economic and financial information, data records and reports in court in connection with my educational, legislative, and professional duties and responsibilities,” Jordan said. “I now must bring that knowledge and experience to the office of the county comptroller.”

Voting for the Onondaga County Executive, Onondaga County Comptroller, City of Syracuse Common Councilors and the Onondaga County legislature begins on Nov. 7, with early voting set to take place between Oct. 28 and Nov. 5.