From the Stage

20th Annual PRISM Concert to highlight student performers

Katie Tsai | Asst. Photo Editor

The 20th Annual PRISM Concert, hosted by the Setnor School of Music, will take place Wednesday at 8 p.m.

Each year, the Setnor School of Music selects two students studying music industry to lead its PRISM Concert. Seniors Steven Visceglia and Rebecca Ross were selected to lead the 20th annual concert, having been inspired by what they saw at last year’s concert.

“It’s a pretty big undertaking that not a lot of people want to do,” Visceglia said. But after witnessing another successful performance last year, Visceglia said he knew he and Ross wanted to take on the challenge.

The free concert is set to take place Wednesday night at 8 p.m. at Setnor Auditorium in Crouse College. The show is open to the public and will feature performances from a variety of musicians not only from Setnor, but majors across campus.

After auditioning more than 20 acts, Ross said they found a diverse set of performances, including a Brazilian ensemble, jazz/funk groups, solo performances and a cappella groups.

In a concert like PRISM, the lighting and sound sequences are essential to the show, but Ross and Visceglia reiterated that their main focus is the talent on the stage — the lighting is just a complementary aspect, he said.

For Ryan McKeown, a sound recording technology major, PRISM is both an opportunity to jumpstart students’ careers and highlight various ensembles and musical styles.

“Last year I performed with my old band, but this concert marks the beginning of my solo career as I hope to release my EP this upcoming summer,” McKeown said.

He added that he thinks PRISM is a perfect venue for artistic expression and that he plans on debuting a new song called “Doubt.” The inspiration for the track, McKeown said, is highlighting the “tumultuous” times during his freshman year.

McKeown and other artists expressed that PRISM is an important performance for their careers, adding that they have the utmost respect for one another and the concert’s mission.

PRISM not only features solo acts, but bands like Settle for Sadler, an indie group started by a group of sound recording technology majors.

The band formed after two of its members, Rylan Mortensen and Andrew Garces, asked one another to play together freshman year. Kyle Beirne, the band’s lead bassist, said a crucial component to Settle for Sadler is its emphasis on their personal brand.

“We’re a band that’s always thinking about associating our music with an aesthetic,” Beirne said. “The stage and lighting really fits our vibe and the auditorium is fantastic.”

Lead singer Mortensen said that what has contributed most to the band is the relationship between its members. Not only does the eagerness extending from performers toward PRISM highlight the tradition and longevity of the event, but the respect and admiration performers have for one another.

“Our musical styles complement each other really well, and we’re all just really good friends,” Mortensen said.

Julie Coggiola, a solo singer and songwriter, emphasized the welcoming yet challenging atmosphere PRISM promotes.

“This will be the first time I’ve ever performed a song I’ve written for a public audience,” Coggiola said, “and I’ve truly been inspired by my friends here who have done that.”

Coggiola will sing her own original song “Falling” after having performed in a group ensemble last year. She attests her excitement and optimism for the concert to the high quality talent surrounding her.

“It inspired me to put my own voice out there,” Coggiola said.