THE DAILY ORANGE

WILL YOU ACCEPT THIS CLASS?

Let these iconic Bachelor stars help pick your courses for the upcoming semester

Winter is coming and that means two things: a new bachelor season is looming and class registration for next semester opens soon. Make the process less stressful and use the stars of “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” to help guide your schedule for the spring semester.

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator & Talia Trackim | Senior Design Editor

EEE 370: Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises

“Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises,” also referred to as “triple-e,” is open to non-Martin J. Whitman School of Management majors and minors. The class covers a range of topics under the umbrella of entrepreneurship including business sustainability and entrepreneurship teamwork.

Jordyn Maloney, a junior in the School of Information Studies, said she initially took the class because she was considering a minor in business management. Maloney said she learned how to be a better writer and evaluate things through a business lens.

FST 102: Food Fights: Contemporary Food Issues

This food studies class, which covers contemporary food issues, is 100-level course and available to most students. Students can expect to learn about misconceptions surrounding food and the way it influences food culture in the United States.

Meghan Nelligan, a junior English textual studies major, said that after each lecture for the class, “I felt like I had learned something valuable.”

CPS 181: Introduction to Computing

This introduction to all-things-programming class is great for students wanting to understand the fundamentals of computing and programming. The course includes a lab and is open to those not enrolled as computer science or engineering majors.

Associate Professor Marjory Baruch, who teaches the same class, but for engineering and computer science majors, said that students mainly learn about problem solving as a coder, requiring students to figure out the problems on their own. Many finish the class with the ability to write basic programs and games.

ECN 203: Economic Ideas and Issues

This 3-credit economics class introduces students to basics of micro- and macro-economics in one semester. One of the graduate TAs, Guanyu Liu, said that mostly Whitman and Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs freshmen and sophomores take the class.

For those interested in business, he said the course can help students interpret business news while learning basic economics principles.

PSC 315: Politics and Media

If you’ve been following this year’s midterm elections, Candy Brooks — the academic advisor and grad coordinator for SU’s political science department — said PSC 315 is a must-have for those looking to better their media savviness when navigating politics.

“Anything to do with elections, the media, race and gender are very popular right now,” she said.

“Politics and Media,” a 3-credit course taught by Assistant Professor Emily Thorson, analyzes the relationship between the media and government bodies, how media outlets decide what is newsworthy and, in turn, impacts public opinion and voting behavior.

WGS 201: Transnational Feminist Studies

This introductory women’s and gender studies course builds off of key concepts learned in WGS 101 regarding the intersections of race, ethnicity, sexuality and gender. The 3-credit course also counts as a writing intensive class, meeting a graduation requirement for SU’s liberal arts core.

“The field of transnational feminist studies is a field in which feminists have tried to think about questions of race, sexuality, identity, questions of belonging and unbelonging,” said Dana Olwan, an assistant professor of women’s and gender studies and the director of undergraduate studies for the department.

NSD 225: Nutrition in Health

“Nutrition in Health” is the class for anyone interested in learning more about nutrition and healthy food selections. The class covers everything about food including food distribution, food security and consumerism, among others.

Professor Sudha Raj, who teaches nutrition science and dietetics and a section of NSD 225 this semester, said the course is a good overview of the major and is very “holistic” because it “helps students understand the science behind nutrition as well as the art of dietetics.” For those interested in sports, the class also tackles sport nutrition and dietary supplement.

PED 226: Bootcamp Fitness

This one-credit physical education class meets twice a week for half a semester. The class aims to increase strength, muscle endurance, balance and flexibility without using equipment. Professor of PED 226 Margaret Thomson said that the class is a full-body, high-energy workout that will help you improve your cardiovascular fitness as well as strength.

Julia Rothschild, a sophomore psychology and communication sciences and disorders double major said, “As someone who doesn’t love to workout on their own I found myself really enjoying all of the workouts.”

CFS 202: Development of Children

This course, offered through the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, discusses the mental, social and physical development of children while exploring topics of parenting, attachment and peer relationships. Associate Professor Matthew Mulvaney said the course includes a mini research project involving the college’s lab preschool.

“It helps people to understand how kids change and what makes them change and helps them to understand scientifically a little bit about what the nature of childhood is all about,” Mulvaney said.

EAR 225: Volcanoes and Earthquakes

This course explores the connection between earthquakes and volcanoes while offering an inside look into plate tectonics. Associate Teaching professor Daniel Curewitz said the course is open to students of all majors, but he recommends that students have some previous experience studying earth science.

The curriculum discusses aspects of scientific method and history, planetary structure, the measurement of earthquakes, how things melt at volcanoes and how natural disasters impact human life.

CRS 325: Presentational Speaking

A particularly popular choice among non-communication and rhetorical studies majors, CRS 325 is a public speaking course aimed to prepare you for real-life situations. The course is separated into a series of speech assignments including informative, persuasive, impromptu and mediated speeches.

Courtney Dreyer, a graduate student in the communication and rhetorical studies program and a teaching assistant for CRS 325, said that despite public speaking being a common fear, it’s something that every person should have the skills to do right. Dreyer said that this class gives you a safe space to practice.

PSY 205: Foundations of Human Behavior

Understand the conventions of the mind and human behavior with “Foundations of Human Behavior.” The class, which is open to most students enrolled at SU, explores human relationships and the length to what we understand in scientific terms.

“Even if you’re not a psychology major, taking some psych classes might be beneficial for students with other career goals as well,” said Leonard Newman, associate professor of psychology at SU and associate chair of the department.

Cover & contestant illustrations by Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator