Freshmen Series

Marek Dolezaj battles adjustment from European leagues to NCAA in freshman season for Syracuse

Photo Illustration by Sam Lee

Marek Dolezaj is SU head coach Jim Boeheim's first European recruit in 10 years.

freshmanbranding
Editor’s note: In late October, freshman forward Oshae Brissett told The Daily Orange: “Our freshmen, people don’t know how good we are.” Granted, no one knows just how good the four freshmen are yet, but in a four-part series this week, The D.O. tells you who they are.

One day this summer at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center, associate head coach Adrian Autry noticed his freshman forward was in the perfect spot during an offensive set. Then, days later, he saw Marek Dolezaj make the right pass. Then the Slovakian forward found the right spot again. And again. Months later, remembering these summer sessions, Autry laughed at how Dolezaj always seemed to appear in the right spot.

“(European players) are very disciplined in certain things,” Autry said. “You can see that stick out as opposed to a typical freshman from high school that’s athletic and can run.”

That’s just one of the reasons why SU head coach Jim Boeheim decided Dolezaj would be his first European recruit in the last 10 years. That the length of the 6-foot-9 forward fits into the 2-3 defensive scheme Syracuse runs doesn’t hurt either.

For Dolezaj, erase the idea of a typical European big man. He’s less muscular and doesn’t possess a knockdown 3-point jumper. Coaches and Dolezaj himself acknowledge that there’s a lot to work on, but the Orange returns just one big man from last year, so the team needs its younger players to contribute early.

With experience playing professionally in Europe, Dolezaj enters with a more extensive knowledge of the game compared to most incoming freshmen. Though he’s still transitioning to the United States style, Autry said, Dolezaj has the tangibles to be successful in the NCAA.

“He has to add the bulk, the strength and stuff like that,” Autry said. “But the game is not played like it was played 20 years ago. It’s an athletic quick game now.”

longway_embed

Andy Mendes | Digital Design Editor

The biggest discrepancy in Dolezaj’s game is the one that separates him from the prototypical European recruit. Dolezaj thinks his skill set allows for the Orange to run its offense with four players outside the 3-point line, but Boeheim said that Dolezaj is not an outside shooter and, instead, he’s “an American kind of player.”

That includes using his 15- to 17-foot jumper, ability to drive to the hoop or be active around the rim. Autry noted Dolezaj’s mid-range shot has progressed and his athleticism is a trait commonly mentioned by players, coaches and scouts.

Struggles still persist though, as seen in the team’s first two exhibition games against two Division II teams. Dolezaj played 36 minutes total, shooting a combined 1-for-5 from the field, including going 0-for-3 from 3 and 4-for-6 from the free-throw line. Dolezaj did add five steals in the first exhibition and a block in the second.

“He’s going to need to get stronger and learn the physicality of the American game,” Scout.com’s Evan Daniels said. “But I think he’s a guy with a lot of potential and a lot of upside.”

Normally, European recruits in high-major NCAA programs are taller and bulkier, and have the ability to shoot the 3, scout Sam Meyerkopf said. He mentioned Jakob Poeltl, Domantas Sabonis and Lauri Markkanen as three players that define the norm of a European NCAA player. But Dolezaj’s 6-foot-9 frame looks like that of a small forward, Meyerkopf said, though he fits defensively at both small forward and power forward spots in the zone.

“As far as producing early,” Meyerkopf said, “it’s just a stretch. Talent-wise, (he) could, but physically it’ll be tough. … Long term it’s not as much an issue.”

The length contributes to Dolezaj’s ability to close out on shooters and rebound. Sophomore Tyus Battle noted Dolezaj excels at identifying where the ball will land to beat other big men to the spot. It makes up for his lack of strength in the low post and unfamiliarity with the NCAA’s pace of play.

“I saw last year’s games and (Syracuse) had problems on defense,” Dolezaj said. But he thinks this year will be different because SU is “a really big team (this year).”

Though Boeheim said Dolezaj was the same weight as Hakim Warrick entering freshman year, Autry and Meyerkopf point toward him needing to bulk up. Though players note his mid-range shot, he shot a combined 20 percent from the field in exhibition games. And though he’s had professional experience overseas, as Autry pointed out, Dolezaj’s transition will take time.

To ease his adjustment this summer, Dolezaj often practiced at the power forward position. Battle has seen Dolezaj struggle to adjust early in the summer, but there’s been a noticeable difference lately. He’s grabbing more rebounds and trying to lift every day.

“He’s kind of like an ideal forward for Coach Boeheim’s system,” center Paschal Chukwu said. “He can shoot, he’s not a knockdown shooter yet, but down the line he’s going to be a good
shooter.”