Movie Column

As the temperature drops, pick up your laptops because Netflix has a packed agenda

Daily Orange File Illustration

Movie columnist Nicki Zelenak provides a run down of the coming season's best Netflix shows.

There’s something more frightening than the Demogorgon heading our way this fall. The streaming giant Netflix has a great lineup of shows for the upcoming sweater and pumpkin spice season.

Along with returning hits, brand new original shows ranging from a psychological FBI drama to a western with a twist are coming soon. It’s a lot to take in, but don’t worry. I’ve got you covered with what to watch and when. Clear your schedules for these binge-worthy shows.

“Fuller House” – Sept. 22

The first part of this sitcom reboot’s third season comes to the streaming service just in time for a weekend binge. Although not well-received by many critics, this show is fun for fans of the original “Full House” and other classic sitcoms.

True fans of “Full House” may recognize this release date as the 30th anniversary of the original show’s premiere. As the show celebrates this historic date, the temperature will drop with the beginning of fall. Thankfully, this season promises to feature summer fun to distract us from the chill.

“Full House” star Jodie Sweetin recently suffered a leg injury, so we can expect to see her counterpart Stephanie struggling with the same difficulty on screen.

“The Magic School Bus Rides Again” – Sept. 29

Before you stop me and tell me this is a children’s show, let me just say two words: Kate McKinnon. Did that get your attention?

The “Saturday Night Live” star will voice Ms. Frizzle’s equally wacky and endearing sister Fiona Felicity Frizzle, who takes over the teaching duties of the class. If anyone is going to take up the mic for the iconic teacher’s role after Lily Tomlin, the original Ms. Frizzle, then McKinnon is the best for the job.

You may have a bio exam on the digestive system, and a Magic School Bus trip through the stomach might just be the best way to study. Not only that, but Lin-Manuel Miranda, of “Hamilton” and “Moana” fame updates the theme song into quite a jam.

“Mindhunter” – Oct. 13

Taking a completely different direction from a talking educational bus, this brand new FBI drama is based on John E. Douglas’ book titled “Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit,” which pretty much tells you that it is going to be intense.

It stars Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany as FBI agents who interview serial killers to learn how they think. I’ve seen enough “Criminal Minds” and “Dexter” to know that this is both a fascinating and horrifying concept, especially since it seems to focus on the inner workings of the serial killer’s thoughts rather than the crimes themselves. You might not want to watch this one alone.

“Stranger Things” – Oct. 27

What better way is there to celebrate the Halloween weekend than to stuff your face with candy and watch a group of kids take on horrors from other dimensions?

The second season of this critically acclaimed and fan-lauded series promises to be even stranger than the first. The details are mostly being kept secret, but according to the cast, one focus of this season will be the dead daughter of Police Chief Jim Hopper, played by David Harbour.

Another will be how the Upside Down affected Will Byers, played by Noah Schnapp. There will also be human villains in addition to supernatural ones. You’ll probably want to make sure there are no monsters under your bed before you tune into this show.

“Alias Grace” – Nov. 3

If you’ve seen Hulu’s well-received “The Handmaid’s Tale,” then you’ll probably love this new show. Based on a novel from Margaret Atwood, the same author who wrote the book for Hulu’s chilling dystopian series, “Alias Grace” tells the story of the murders of Thomas Kinnear, played by Paul Gross, and his housekeeper Nancy Montgomery, played by Anna Paquin.

The 16-year-old Irish maid Grace Marks, played by Sarah Gadon, and the stable hand James McDermott, played by Kerr Logan, are charged with murder. There’s an illicit relationship, suspicious amnesia and twisting drama. And even spookier: It’s based on a true story.

“Godless” – Nov. 22

This new western has everything a western should: Notorious outlaws, betrayal, revenge and a town made up entirely of women. Wait a second… That’s a twist.

The outlaw takes refuge in this town, and it sounds like there’s destined to be a good old-fashioned showdown between the town of women and a western gang bent on revenge. The show stars Jeff Daniels, Jack O’Connell, Michelle Dockery, Scoot McNairy and Merritt Wever.

Clearly, there are plenty of new shows to fill up your list on Netflix. Stock up on popcorn and have your fuzzy blanket at the ready as you wait for the release dates. They’ll be here sooner than you can say “The Magic School Bus Rides Again” 30 times.

Nicki Zelenak is a sophomore television, radio and film major. She can be reached by email at nezelena@syr.edu.